Every man wants to be a better husband, right? Becoming a better husband doesn’t require a lot of effort. It just requires adopting a few new habits. In this article, I will help you learn how to be a better husband. I have put together a long list of habits and practices that will transform you into a great spouse. This list will be continuously updated so be sure to check back often for new tips!
How to Be a Better Husband
Below are some general tips on how to be a better husband:
Communication is the Key
- Compliments. Tell your wife that she looks good. Let her know when she’s doing a good job. Tell her that you are proud of her accomplishments. Tell her that’s she’s sexy. Repeat.
- Give her your full attention when she’s talking. Turn away from the computer, put down the phone, put Sports Center on pause, and make eye contact with her.
- Nurture open communication. Express appreciation for her honesty and sharing. Try not to be too judgy. Try not to give her a bad time when she admits to miscues.
- Avoid interrupting her. Hear her out before chiming in.
- Settle disagreements in private. Avoid being disagreeable in public. Instead, present a united front to your kids, to your family, and to the world when possible.
- Tell her that you love her. She will never hear those words enough.
- Don’t be a brute. Don’t yell at your wife. Maintain a firm yet calm tone when discussing problems or issues. Don’t hurl personal attacks. Focus on solutions and positive ways forward.
Integrity in Your Actions
- Honesty is the best policy. If you don’t have honesty and trust, you don’t have a relationship.
- Be respectful of your different interests, different perspectives, and different opinions.
- Be nice to her family and friends, even if you don’t like them. LOL
- Keep your promises. If you tell your wife you are going to do something, do it. If you really need to change the plan, negotiate an alternative with your wife.
- Never cheat. If there’s something missing from your relationship, work together with your wife to fill the gap. Get counseling if you have to.
- Foster trust. Let her know what you are up to and what you are thinking about. Don’t try to hide what you are feeling or what you are doing when she’s not around.
- Be a gentleman. Open doors for her. Help her carry her bags. Pull out a chair for her. Don’t be afraid of doing something that seems cliché. Do it anyway.
Teamwork makes the Dream Work
- Complete chores when it’s “not your turn”. Give her the night off from parental duties. Do her laundry while you are doing your own. Surprise her by cooking on a night she expected to cook.
- Divide and conquer. If she cooks, you clean the dishes and take out the garbage. If she goes grocery shopping, you put the groceries away. You get the point.
- Maintain a balance. Actively seek opportunities to lighten her load. Make sure you both are contributing to taking care of the household, the kids, etc.
- Leverage your strengths. If one person is better at paying bills or managing finances, let that person do that. If one person is better at planning trips or events, let that person do that.
- Support her goals. Help her reach important goals such as paying off bills, completing her education, achieving fitness goals, etc.
- Compromise. Sometimes you have to give her what she wants, even at your own expense.
- Sacrifice. Occasionally your personal goals and interests will have to take a back seat to your wife.
Take Care of Yourself
- Take care of your personal appearance. When you leave the house with your wife, make sure you have dressed appropriately for the occasion. It wouldn’t hurt to be dressed extra sharp.
- Take care of your own personal care. Practice good hygiene. Maintain a hair cut, a fresh shave, and manicured nails. And for gosh sakes, get a pedicure if you need one!
- Take care of your health. Don’t be a burden to your wife and your family by getting sick. Eat well, exercise, and go to the doctor for checkups.
Have Fun with your Wife
- Maintain a calendar of fun activities. This can include date nights, road trips, trips to the mall, vacations, and more.
- Plan trips like a pro. Plan a big trip with a well thought out itinerary of fun things to do. Consider staying at a slightly fancy hotel instead of the cheapest option. Take plenty of photos and share them with her family and friends.
- Share a hobby or a cause. Have fun with a purpose.
- Document your fun times. Take plenty of photos. Share your activities with family and friends on social media.
- Create a schedule for your “me-time”. Let your wife know in advance if you want to hang out with the guys or when you want to do something on your own. Consider scheduling some together-time at the same time to maintain a balance.
Physical Affection and Sex
- Kiss and hug her often. Do this several times a day. Don’t be afraid of public displays of affection.
- Massages. Rub her head, feet, legs, and back, even when you are just hanging out.
- Do the sex thing that she likes, every time you are intimate, no matter what it is.
- Do Kegel exercises. Google it and thank me later.
- Don’t neglect the nipple. Enough said.
- Shower, if you anticipate a night of physical fun. Nobody likes a sweaty man.
Share Your Experience Using These Tips
Did you try any of the tips above with your wife? If so, how did it work out? Use the comment section below share your experience.
If you have your own tips that you would like to share, post them in the comments. I’ll add the best tips to the article!